Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Every Day The Same Dream (Browser)



"a short existential game about alienation and refusal of labor." according to creator, Paolo Pedercini. Yes, I'm getting to it.

If you're in anyways of a mentally fragile disposition, this isn't your game. If you, however, fancy guiding our nameless, faceless avatar through the crushing mundanities of modern life, such as loveless marriages, loss of identity and traffic jams, cosy on up, or adopt a funeral stance, or whatever way you cope with bereavement, this may be worth a trot. It's a bleak one alright, dotted with bits of hope, and rather heavy doses of tragedy. It's quite short too, docking in at around 30 minutes-ish, depending on how much you want to linger about in the setting. I do like this game, by the way, if that impression is lost amid a sea of seemingly self-solicited discontentment.



On a sidenote, the jangly, swelling score is going to soundtrack a lot of vaguely miserable moments in your life. I figured I'd put that out there.



Every Day The Same Dream is free-to-play here, hosted by the creator.

2 comments:

  1. Ah! A new post. What a nice surprise :) I literally clicked on the link (to your blog) on my blog on a whim after thinking, "Hey, I haven't checked out Jyr's blog in a while."

    Not sure you needed to know that, but I decided to share it anyway.

    As to the post (and game) at hand: I really like Paolo Pedercini and many of the games he's made. They're obviously not for everyone (hell, I'm sure a lot of people *hate* them), but I really like and appreciate the things he's trying to do (get people to think, take the medium beyond its current/typical boundaries, etc.).

    I'm not sure I'm in the right head space to play this right now (especially if it's depressing), but I'll keep a mental note of it and come back to it later on, no question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huzzah! I'm back........somewhat. I can see why a game like this could irk a few people. I mean, just a quick sniff of its synopsis and it stinks of a little pretention. It's not really, though. Besides, there are much worse things to do with 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete