Monday, July 18, 2011

Playlist

Just dropping in with a couple of titles that are currently on rotation. By the way, yes, I am aware there are genres beyond the versus fighter. I even play them too, sometimes. Kinda. And yes again, I even enjoy the fighter genre, even if its bosses are shaving years off my life. Such are the follies of having two left thumbs and the reflexes of an alcoholic tortoise.

Power Stone (Dreamcast):


When I got my Dreamcast, a lot of folk pointed towards this game and swore it, in no small part, justified the Dreamcast's continuing legacy as one of the best and rewarding gaming systems in all creation (hmm, the smell of fresh hyperbole in the morning). Needless to add, I felt a bit anticipative as I loaded up the DC's suppossed, if not only, premier 3D Arena brawler. The feeling it left me with was one of someone throwing a ping-pong ball into the Grand Canyon and saying 'fetch'. I'm finding it be a bit of a clusterbomb . While I've been having a fun on multiplayer, this doesn't extend to main quest where the CPU seemingly just wants to draw out my misery before it drops Gunrock and his gut on me from great, and completely unnecessary, heights. A grower, I hope.






Street Fighter Alpha 3
(Dreamcast):



My PS2's went and broke on me slightly, before I got a chance to finish SFA3 on its Street Fighter Alpha Anthology, a collection of the arcade versions of the Alpha series titles. Well, I beat it, but lost to Bison, which-in the arcade version-doesn't yield a rematch, nope. Instead, you get one shot to tackle a superpowered Bison, and if you don't beat it first time, then you get a 'bad' (read: no) ending and directions back to drawing board. Having found the game hard until this point, I left it for another, much more Zen entry in the Alpha series, which, at the time, happened to be any other. Anyhows, with losing my PS2 to the whims of life, I went scored a copy of SFA3 on the Dreamcast, on the promise that Bison here was re-fightable immediately. He was, and mercifully so, as he's a lesson in psych warfare, where he constantly dummies his high attacks, which you block and try to counter, only for him to drop back and launch his super combo psycho-crusher whilst you're in the midst of your own wimpy comeback, which heralded constant screams of "not a-fucking-gain" from yours truly. I got him somehow in the end, miraculously and very, very, very cheaply.




Capcom vs SNK/Capcom vs SNK 2 (Dreamcast):




Two fantastic pieces of 2D tag-team crossover fighting love from Capcom, combining two of the genre's deepest and most accomplished sons. Having just suffered so tremendously at the hands of Bison's malevolent jollies in SFA3, I decided I'd main some Terry Bogard and his wonderful pendulum kick, which was put to good usage in the way of clocking Bison out of the air every time he tried to pull any funny business. This, my dear reader, was almost sexual in its levels of gratification. Unfortunately, I also drew Geese Howard as my mid-boss/boss once or twice, which proved tricky for our (or well, my)Terry. Fortunately, Dan Hibiki(Fuck Yeah) was waiting in the wings to chip damage Mr.Howard back to depths of hell (or OO). Virtually limitless games in their depth and playability and near unquantifiable fun, except in CvS 2 when Shin Akuma or Ultra Rugal ('cause that's what those two bastards needed, more power) waft into the frame like a fatal fart and rob hours of your life in the endeavor to beat them. Harsh form of fun, the willful invitation of an aneurysm.





King of Fighters '99 Dream Match
(Dreamcast)



I could enlighten you to the fact this is KOF '98 rather confusingly retitled for its home release, or how this is my first proper intro to world of SNK fighters, or how this iteration is often cited as the series' greatest offering. Alas no. In short, Brilliant game, but honestly, fuck Rugal. Needless to add, I continued my tradition of disposing of these megabosses in the most uninspiring fashion imaginable. In Rugal's case, a sweep. Yes, a sweep.

No comments:

Post a Comment